Thursday, April 17, 2008

No Wonder he's smiling...

Umass Daily Collegian
4/16/08

Larry Shaffer does think Amherst is more accepting of an event celebrating an illegal substance than other towns would be.

"Amherst does have an independent streak," he said. "We really don't want to be in anyone else's business. I see it as a matter of personal preference."

Shaffer also mentioned that marijuana is nothing new to him, and it wouldn't surprise - or bother - him to see someone enjoying the herb at an event like Extravaganja.



"Young people may find it hard to believe, but there was marijuana a long time ago," he said.

2 comments:

O'Reilly said...

"I see it as a matter of personal preference"

Can you believe the reckless disregard for the law exhibited by our municipal leaders? In Massachusetts, marijuana is a controlled class c substance and if your arrested with it on you person, you're in legal jeopardy. It's not a misdemeanor, it's a crime. I'd like to see the law changed but as of now, it's the law.

As you point out, Shaffer then goes on to address "young people", probably to win points and leave the impression he's one of the "cool" kids without ever thinking for a moment that his words might be taken by impressionable Amherst adolescent teenagers as a green light to smoke pot: "I see it as a matter of personal preference"

Personal preference, indeed. He's irresponsible. How an adult in this day and age can implicitly encourage drug use is, in the newspaper no less, is beyond me.

Larry Kelley said...

Yeah, I think he was being interviewed by an attractive young woman and was trying to sound cool.

I'm 53 and I stopped trying to be cool 15 years ago (although most of the women I interact with at the Health Club--especially my wife and daughter--think that, in itself, is pretty cool).

Some folks have "personal preference" for heroine, cocaine, or using date rape drugs. That’s why we have laws, and police to enforce them.

If the School Superintendent had made this stupid suggestion publicly, outraged parents would be asking for his job. These folks are supposed to set an example. And I mean a GOOD example!